Tuesday, October 7, 2008

portfolio 4

What difficulties do you have writing in your engineering classes? You may use your work in MLE 1101 to give examples. How do you resolve the difficulties? How will you continue to improve? Use approximately 300 words. 


Grammar is my main stumbling block from writing good essays in engineering classes. Without a good command of grammar, an essay produced will have so much mistakes it will give a bad impression to the lecturer. During my A-levels, I was not required to write in complete sentences for essays but in point-form because it was allowed. Furthermore, I do not have to note my grammar and vocabulary used. As long as the points and ideas are there, credits will be given and no marks will be penalized for errors relating to English.

Now in university, I have to present my answers in matured sentences and also to consider the grammar. New scientific words are being introduced throughout the whole course, now in particular, in MLE 1101. Having a dictionary and thesaurus by one’s side helps one breeze through all the new and difficult words and their meanings. This will generate a productive learning environment and also increase our vocabulary where we familiarize ourselves with the words used and understand text given completely. I do not know how difficult it is to write exam essays and lab reports, as this is my first year in Chemical Engineering. Nevertheless, essays and reports must be written with good grammar coupled with creative and critical thinking to make the essay clearer. Although grammar is not the essence of the essay, it is important to bring up the point written in a professional method.

  To improve on my grammar and vocabulary, I will read more articles and Internet forums related to the course. As reading is never enough to improve my English, I will try my very best to write every essay in EG 1471 so that I recognize and deal with my mistakes. Without understanding certain scientific words, essays written might go out of topic and hence no points will be awarded and this is not a legitimate excuse of failure.

Writing good essays will help not just in MLE 1101 but also in other modules that requires a strong command of English such as Singapore Studies. In short, language is an essential element throughout our university and working world in order to succeed and when better to improve if not now?



4 comments:

KIM said...

Oh I see. I agree with you that dictionary is useful, but what will happen with our final test when dictionary is not allowed.Regarding to words chosen, I think it should be" complete sentences" rather than "matured sentence".Moreover,our topic is about engineering course so that it is unnecessary to mention Singapore studies.

^wEnHuI^ said...

Hi Calvin ^^
You have a point that a dictionary is really important, it's like an angel to me! But anyhow, I would say that a 'digital dictionary' is absolutely important, imagine if everyone is bringing a big tome walking around! Haha! =p By the way, I strongly agree with you that having a good command of grammar is essential for writing a good essay in engineering courses, if not the lecturer may not understand what we are trying to convey. Concerning Kim’s comment, I think we might be allowed to use the word ‘mature’ to describe a sentence, as I think we can refer a sentence to be mature perhaps from the aspect of the ideas given or even in the complexity of the sentence structure. However, I’m also not very sure about that.

raymondloh87 said...

Frequent grammatical mistakes is one of my major weakness in writing essays too as it is a component that i will naturally neglect when i am rushing to come out with an essay in a short time. To solve this problem, we should develop a habit to place more emphasis on it despite time constraints.

laishan said...

I agree that dictionary is important too. Reading scientific materials is definitely helpful as we can learn more vocabulary as well as the way in which scientific methods or ideas are presented.